Before 1926, Agios Georgios had the name Yantsista where it refers to the book “Secrets of the Swamp” by Penelope Delta. In 1935 the village was flooded by a torrent and in 1939 the village was relocated 3 km west, taking the name Agios Georgios after the church of the old village. It is a lowland and large settlement with 1,682 inhabitants. The main occupation and source of income of locals is agriculture with the most characteristic cultivation and processing of the famous “Agios Georgios Pepper”.
The park, the school in the center of the settlement and the church of the Assumption of Mary and just outside the village the church of Agios Georgios and the post-Byzantine church of Agios Athanasios.
“Agios Georgios Vegetables Festival” with the aim of promoting local products and highlighting the cultural heritage (end of July-beginning of August).
23nd of April
At the name day of Saint Georgios where the local church celebrates. (April 23. In case this date occurs before Easter, then the feast of St. George is postponed to the next day of Easter).