The area of Fitia according to indications has been inhabited since antiquity. The village was called Tsornovo or Chernovo which means black wine (tserno vino) because of the dark red wine produced by its vineyards. The people of Fitia are still considered one of the best grape growers and wine makers in the area. It was renamed in 1926 to Fitia. During the revolution of 1821, the inhabitants of Fitia fought against the Ottomans. An important local figure of the Revolution of 1821 was Ioannis Athanassiou. In 1822 the first destruction of the village took place. It is believed that Saint Timothy the Osiomartyr from Veria, who martyred together with other monks in the White Tower after the tortures of the Ottomans, comes from Fitia. Several inhabitans of Fitia took also part in the Macedonian Struggle. Nowadays, the village is considered as one of the most popular culinary mountainous destinations surrounded by a dense forest of oak, chestnut and beech trees.
The village has two churches, the church of St. Nikolaos and the church of St. Athanasios, the patron saint of the village. The Church of St. Athanasios (and in particular a part that was saved from the old church) was declared in 1969 as a historical monument by the Greek state. On its walls there are frescoes of saints, with the most impressive being that of Saint Nestor. According to tradition, blood has been flowing from the saint’s eye since Muslims tried to remove it but, digging into the mural, blood spilled, forcing them to flee. There are still four chapels around the village:.
St. Paraskevi at the location called “Kladaki”,.
St. Theodoroi, .
οι Άγιοι Θεόδωροι, .
St. Modestos and .
St. Prodromos on the way to Kostochori village.
Very close to the village, in the area called Marousia, is loaded the post-Byzantine Church of “St. Nikolaos Maroussias”, built in the early 18th century. .
At the location ‘Trano Pigadi’ you can visit the ‘Forest Recreation Area’.
18th of January
On the 18th of January the traditnal event called “Kurbani” is taking place in honor of St. Athanasios.
23rd of August
On the 23rd of August, on the “Nine Days of the Virgin Mary” (nine days after the death of Virgin
Mary), cultural events take place with dance groups.
On December 23 at 12, in the evening, the burning of Cedars takes place, with the participation of many visitors from all over Central Macedonia.